Sparks is searching for a Director of Engineering to join our team. Our ideal candidate will come from the retail fixture industry and have experience manufacturing in China. If you feel you could be a good fit for this role, please contact me directly: Erin Monahan (Corporate Recruiter) email@example.com
The Director of Engineering is responsible for effectively managing internal projects as well as development projects. Must possess the ability to:
- Act as a liaison between sales, IT, customer service, engineering, manufacturing, and quality control. This includes both US-domestic and international operations/services
- Be the primary contact / communications point in the US in working with China Operations.
- Lead the Engineering Team to develop designs and drawings as needed on a timely basis.
- Incorporate engineered, efficient, best practice design/production methods in the design/detail drawing process.
- Product development – find, source, develop information and details for efficient production resulting in excellent quality.
- Production/manufacturing review – interact with production to assure design/production flow.
- Issue purchase orders to outside vendors, and internal work orders to appropriate internal managers, on a timely basis. Responsibilities include the issuing of paperwork with clear direction / specifications.
- Monitor all aspects of each project to assure project delivery through on-going vendor and internal resource management. Responsibilities include maintaining regular contact with suppliers and various departmental personnel to verify production schedules to insure program delivery dates.
- Develop and implement appropriate corrective actions to keep projects on schedule when agreed upon production requirements are not being maintained by assigned vendors and / or internal resources, without increasing costs whenever possible.
- Manage project costs in accordance with the final estimate, and continuously seek opportunities to improve job profitability throughout the production and developmental processes.
- Identify cost and delivery deviations as they occur, communicating all changes to Sales and Management through the timely issuance of internal “Change Orders” and other appropriate communication tools such as face to face discussions, voice mail messages and e-mail notifications.
- Review and evaluate program requirements in order to develop cost estimates that reflect the most cost effective methods of production to achieve client-desired delivery, aesthetic, and functional requirements. Responsibilities include reviewing project specifications with appropriate personnel as required.
- Document and communicate all critical production information to outside vendors through follow-up correspondence on a timely basis.
- Perform on-site visits at various outside sources to check the quality and status of production.
- Travel to installation sites as requested to observe/manage progress of project.
- Regularly communicate with sales, management, and all relevant parties on projects’ job status and requirements.
- Communicate with customers as needed.
- Candidate must be personable, focused, influential, well organized, and results oriented.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Industrial Design is a minimum.
- Minimum 10 to 15 years of varied operations experience in a related environment, including experience and knowledge of wood, metal and acrylic manufacturing. Fieldwork installation experience would be a plus.
- Experience with technical software tools, such as AutoCAD, SolidWorks, etc.
- Experience working with internal team members and external manufacturers located in China.
- Strong eye and attention to detail.
- Proven experience negotiating contracts and experience in cost analysis as well as value engineering
- Strong business acumen with an understanding of business models and methods.
- Working knowledge of manufacturing processes, tooling and equipment
- Excellent project, organizational management and decision-making skills.
- Flexibility to operate within a fast-paced, rapidly changing, business environment
- Flexible work hours to effectively work in an international team environment.
- Ability to build successful partnerships internal and external to the business.
- Very strong leadership capabilities, both formal and informal.
- Very strong verbal and written communications skills – to be used in clearly explaining complex requirements to others in an effective and efficient manner.
- Experience with MS Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
We offer competitive salary along with an excellent benefits package including dental, vision & 401(k).
Pleasant work environment - business casual dress code.
Check us out at: www.sparksonline.com