Director of Purchasing
The Director of Purchasing will be responsible for all aspects of the purchasing department including the development of the company’s purchasing strategy, the management, direction and training of the purchasing staff, inventory control, and sourcing and contracting for all goods and services purchased.
The Director of Purchasing will work in close association with domestic and international suppliers, project management, production, new product development, and accounting departments to ensure that the company receives the best quality product, on time, at the lowest total cost.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directs and coordinates the activities of the Purchasing Department
- Ability to identify and implement changes to processes that increase the effectiveness and efficiency of the Purchasing department and ensures compliance
- Negotiates vendor contracts and reviews all vendor quotes to ensure lowest possible total cost within required delivery deadlines
- Locates and qualifies new sources of supply to keep a strong supplier base in order to maintain high quality product, competitive pricing, and dependable deliveries
- Visits existing suppliers to build and maintain good relationships and to resolve issues
- Acts as liaison between suppliers, manufacturing, project management, new product development and accounting
- Works closely with suppliers to improve supplier capability and performance
- Identifies, implements and tracks key performance measures for the Purchasing function and drives improvement in those measures.
The Director of Purchasing reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
Skills and Abilities
- Understanding of MRP/ERP principles and how to use them effectively
- Ability to read / interpret technical drawings
- Excellent computer skills, including experience with ERP software, Microsoft Office 2013 applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Must be able to convey information clearly and informatively and present data effectively.
- Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of product.
- Firm understanding of product development, industrial design and manufacturing processes
Experience and Education:
- Experience working with multiple locations
- Eight to ten years of experience in purchasing in a manufacturing environment with experience purchasing from international vendors preferably in China
- A Bachelor degree in Business Administration or related subject
- The position requires domestic and international travel approximately 30% of the time.
Please email resume to email@example.com